Monday, September 17, 2012

Catch up time

In writing this blog, I've realized how much I enjoy writing to an (imaginary) audience, even though as of yet I haven't really had much interaction with the "blogosphere" as a whole; however I have a lot of trouble posting frequently, due to laziness (it's always easier to waste time online than doing things I actually enjoy) and I guess the whole novelty of having a blog. Even though this blog isn't exactly new anymore.

But anyway, the point of that excessively long introduction is that I never get around to posting about things in a timely fashion, and as a result I have a build-up of food posts.

1) Quick lunch: nothing special, but lunch from leftover pasta, canned salmon, spinach, avocado, and tomato.  Simple and fresh, perfect for summer

2) Vegan Trail Mix Cookies: my sister, the health freak, was literally obsessed with these. While I didn't quite regard them as the ambrosia that she saw them as, they were delicious and very healthy, which is always a plus. Also they were quite filling, which is good for someone like me who's always hungry. Also, while I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, I am interested in reducing my meat/meat-based product intake, and I enjoy finding vegan recipes that don't sacrifice taste.

3) This is more of a "day in the life" kind of thing, but my mom bought 7 loaves of day old bread at the farmer's market for $5. So, so exciting! If your farmer's market sells day old bread, definitely go for it- these are much cheaper (usually $4.50 per loaf) and taste almost as good as regular bread (just toast them lightly).


4) Cucumber "Spa Smoothie": As delicious as this was, I definitely wouldn't consider it a smoothie- it was pretty thin and more of a "cooler." Additionally, I made this not because I was in a spa but because my house was more like a sauna...but that's not really important. The point is not to be turned off by the name.
"Mysterious green drink in a jar...how indie"- sister
Recipe: I subbed in orange juice because we didn't have any limes, and I left the peel of the cucumber on to save labor/vitamins. Still delicious

5) NO THIS EGG IS NOT MOLDY. It's just blue cheese. This was my first attempt to poach an egg, and as you can tell, it failed miserably. Still tasted pretty good though. From top down: blue cheese, poached egg, roasted veggies, farmer's market bread.
PS: the book in the corner is The Remains of the Day. Yes, this picture is a couple weeks old.

6: I like to eat other people's food: Stayed over at a friend's house and had a fruit salad, kale/carrot juice, and bread made from the pulp of juiced vegetables. Such a great idea.

7) Cottage cheese cake: Even though almost everyone I know sees cottage cheese as the quintessential disgusting diet food, I've loved cottage cheese and its bizarre texture since I was a child, so I jumped at the chance to make a "light cheesecake" out of it. Admittedly it wouldn't be mistaken for an actual cheesecake at any time, but it did taste pretty good. In response to the reviews: make sure you blend the cottage cheese to smooth out the lumps! Even I don't like lumpy cheesecake.
Recipe; also since I didn't want to use obscene amounts of butter for the crust, I used a vegan nut crust recipe. It's been over two months since I made this so I don't remember the website (seriously what kind of blog is this?) but this looks pretty good.

8) Rice and vegetable stuffed pepper. Like number 1, not very interesting, but a good quick dinner idea to remember.

9) Whole-wheat Banana Pancakes: The whole point of finding this recipe was to use up the buckwheat flour that had been lying around for too long, but apparently I had already used it up (forget what kind of blogger I am, what kind of person am I?). Nevertheless, the recipe sounded too good to be true (healthy AND delicious), so I decided to try it anyway with our whole wheat flour. And believe it or not, it really was healthy and delicious, and maybe I claimed it was more healthy than it was to excuse the fact that I ate several servings of these, they're definitely healthier than your average pancake, and my little brothers liked them enough to vouch for the tastiness factor. As you can tell from the picture, we didn't even need syrup!

10) More pancakes! These ones are a different recipe: whole-wheat (again) lemon ricotta with blueberry topping. The matching plate was completely intentional; these pancakes were actually made weeks apart. These pancakes weren't quite as healthy as the ones above, but more indulgent and honestly still healthier than the typical pancake. Some college-student budget substitutions: no chia seeds, and I used Labne, a Middle-Eastern yogurt-cheese that I use as a substitute for everything from ricotta (what the recipe called for originally) and cream cheese. The flavors are a bit more lacking but the texture is pretty good and I use it so much that I don't know what else food should taste like.

11) Oatmeal cups: These were made after a late-night announcement about roadtrips, and since my siblings and I need to snack constantly, I whipped these up pretty quickly. They're not oatmeal muffins, but actual baked oatmeal; basically the perfect roadtrip snack for my family since we'll eat practically anything when we're in the car. If you want actual oatmeal muffins these probably won't cut it, but I actually liked the unusual texture more, and I liked cutting out the unnecessary fluff.

Okay this post took me nearly a month to finish. This is vaguely ridiculous, and when I FINALLY leave for college (next week!), I'm sure it'll get even more sporadic. I wondered the other day why I'm writing a blog that no one is reading and likely no one will ever read, but I do enjoy writing for unknown people to read. Maybe one day I'll write for a magazine or newspaper and people will actually read it!
I have very high aspirations for my future.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Kathy. It's all about how they tasted. :)

    ReplyDelete